1 make tight or tighter; "Tighten the wire" [syn: fasten]
2 become tight or tighter; "The rope tightened"
4 narrow or limit; "reduce the influx of foreigners" [syn: reduce]
- Rhymes: -aɪtən
- To make tighter.
- Please tighten that screw a quarter-turn.
- To become tighter.
- That joint is tightening as the wood dries.
- To make money harder to borrow or obtain.
- If the government doesn't tighten the money supply, inflation is certain to be harsh.
- To raise short-term interest rates.
- The Fed is expected to tighten by a quarter-point.
to become tighter
affix, anchor, annex, attach, back, belay, box, box in, box up, brace, cement, cinch, circumscribe, clamp, clinch, close, compress, confine, continue, cramp, crank, crank in, crush, drag out, draw, draw in, draw out, draw taut, elongate, engraft, ensphere, extend, fasten, fix, graft, grapple, hem, hem in, keep from spreading, keep within bounds, knit, lengthen, lengthen out, let out, limit, localize, make fast, moor, narrow, nip, pinch, press, produce, prolong, prolongate, protract, pull, pull in, put to, qualify, reel, reel in, reinforce, restrict, rigidify, screw up, secure, set, set to, shore up, spin out, squeeze, stiffen, stint, strain, strengthen, stretch, stretch out, string out, tackle, tauten, tense, trice up, trim, tweak, wad up, winch, wind in, windlass